Located in the town of Gigny (39), established by Father Bernon on his own land, the abbey appears in the texts in 888. In 910, this abbot founded Cluny with monks from Gigny and Baume-les-Messieurs , another monastery he directs. The Abbey of Gigny is then transformed into a priory, given in 1076, by Pope Gregory VII to Hugues, abbot of Cluny. This building is fully classified as Historic Monuments. Its church preserves extraordinary elements from the Romanesque period.
For children, Juramusées offers a small “discovery trail” game booklet, also available at Baume-les-Messieurs Abbey.
A document entitled “Hiking loops around the Cluniac sites Doubs & Jura”, designed and published by the association “Chemin clunisien Franche-Comté Bourgogne”, available in tourist offices and sites, offers 9 hiking loops including one around Gigny Abbey.
Abbatiale St Pierre de Gigny
Rue de l'église
+33 (0)6 24 63 68 95
30 km from the campsite