Château de Chevreaux

Heritage and History

The Burgundian Bresse has an amazing historic heritage.

For a better understanding of the history of the Bresse region, we need to make first a short digression on its geology: the Bresse area is the remains of a large lake of the tertiary era, which stretched from the Doubs department to the Dombes plateau and from the Saône to the Jura border. The Bresse area is made up of ponds, forests, but also meadows with many winding rivers. These fertile lands were perfectly exploited by the peasants. But the most emblematic characteristic of the landscape is the bocage, i.e. the farmland crisscrossed by hedges and trees.

Let us focus a bit on etymology: the word “Bresse” (Saltus Brixia, Saltus Brixensi) is quoted in a text of the 6th century, as confirmed in a charter signed by King Gontran in the 9th century.

Now let us go back to history or rather, the turbulent history of the Bresse area over the centuries, whose conflicts gradually forged its identity. Until the High Middle Ages, there was only one Bresse, which was part of the Empire of the French Emperor Charlemagne. After the dismemberment of the Carolingian Empire, the Bresse was separated into the Burgundy Duchy, the County of Burgundy and the Kingdom of Provence. The center and south of Bresse were under the authority of an independent sovereignty, the “Sirerie de Bâgé”, then part of the County of Savoy.
In 1289, the Burgundian Bresse was born as a result of the grouping of several lands (the Châtellenies of Cuisery, Sagy and Savigny in Revermont, in exchange for the Sirerie de Coligny). The union of the County and Duchy of Burgundy (now named “Franche Comté”) made it a land of trade for more than a century (1317-1477). After the disappearance of Charles the Bold, the last Duke of Burgundy, the Burgundian Bresse area became part of the Kingdom of France. It was back in 1479.
Then came Savoyard Bresse (corresponding to the Ain department) in 1601 and less than a century afterwards, in 1678, the Jura Bresse.

Before the departments and the regions were created in 1790 and 1956 respectively, the Burgundian, Savoyard and Jura Bresse shared the same border. The current Bresse now extends over the following three departments – Saône et Loire, Ain and Jura – and over three regions: Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Franche Comté and Burgundy.

The numerous castles and architectural remains are the testimony to this glorious past. So, let yourself embark on a journey through time and come and discover some of the most renowned historic sites in France, such as the Brou Monastery or the Cluny Abbey. These are definitely must-sees.

 

Château de Chevreaux

Located in the town of Chevreaux (39), this 12th century castle was destroyed in the 17th century during clashes between France and Spain for sovereignty over Franche-Comté. It is perched between Bresse and Revermont and allows you to appreciate the […]

26 km from the campsite

Tournus

Tournus (71) is a town steeped in history, located on the banks of the Saône. There is the old town and the Saint-Philibert abbey, dating from the first Romanesque art. The Hôtel-Dieu, the Greuze museum or, more unusual, the Bicycle […]

29 km from the campsite

Gigny Abbey

Located in the town of Gigny (39), established by Father Bernon on his own land, the abbey appears in the texts in 888. In 910, this abbot founded Cluny with monks from Gigny and Baume-les-Messieurs , another monastery he directs. […]

30 km from the campsite

Brou Monastery

Located in the town of Bourg-en-Bresse (01), the royal monastery of Brou, which is a masterpiece of flamboyant Gothic art, was built at the beginning of the 16th century by Marguerite d’Autriche, duchesse from Savoie, in order to eternalize the […]

31 km from the campsite

Caves of Azé

Located in the town of Azé (71), seven cavities are listed on the site of the caves of Azé but only two are accessible to the public : The prehistoric cave, occupied alternately for 300,000 years by men and by […]

39 km from the campsite

Tour de Dramelay and Quinquenouille waterfall

Located in the small town of Dramelay, in the Jura, near Arinthod (39), the tower is listed from the 9th century. Its remains echo its glorious period of the 11th and 13th centuries. Among the ruins, the square plan keep […]

45 km from the campsite

Cormatin Castle

Cormatin (71) offers many areas of interest. If you are an art lover, discover the 17th century residence and its decorated apartments. If you rather appreciate the superb gardens, hikes or walks, go lose yourself in the plant labyrinth of […]

49 km from the campsite

Cluny Abbey

Located in Cluny (71), this Benedictine building extended its influence and influence throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. Its abbey church was the largest in all Western Christianity before the construction of St. Peter’s in Rome. The site, after nine […]

50 km from the campsite

Ambronay Abbey

Located in the town of Ambronay (01), the village is established around its abbey founded during the reign of Charlemagne. There is a magnificent cloister. Gothic in style, the abbey remained independent for several centuries managing a vast territory. She […]

62 km from the campsite